The following panel discussion will take place on June 28, 2023
How to Create a Resilient Existing Building Stock
Description and Purpose of the Session
Throughout the international engineering community, design objectives and building codes are now changing from life-safety based design to a focus on building performance and resilience. Whether for new construction; or increasing the life span of existing structures by assessing factors such as fire resistance, envelope efficiency, or seismic resistance.
As this topic is rapidly advancing in the engineering community, this conference is a valuable platform to demonstrate technical expertise throughout the industry as it relates to performance-based building design and seismic resilience. The goal of this panel discussion will be to:
- Bridge the gap between leading technical experts in the field with representatives from industry, research, and government, while also highlighting the perspective of the end client, the public.
- Align terminology to promote consistency amongst the leading experts.
- Define building resilience.
- Share knowledge amongst leading technical experts in the field.
- Discuss how to set resilience targets for regions with high seismicity.
- Impact of buildings codes on response and recovery.
- Discuss how to move forward, beyond the conference.
Schedule of the Activities
5:30-5:45pm – Snacks Break
5:45-6:00pm – Session Starts: Introductions
6:00-7:00pm – Directed Panel Discussion
7:00-7:30pm – Audience Q&A
8:00pm – a nearby bar will be booked for networking and drinks following the event!
Speakers in the Panel
1- Monrit Chatha (Moderator)
2- Dr. Rajesh Dhakal
3- Dennis Gam
4- Micah Hilt
5- Dr. Adam Lubell
6- John Sherstobitoff
1- EERI BC
2- RJC Engineers
4- Mott MacDonald